Latest News

Rodenticide Toxicity

Rodenticide Toxicity
As of 2015, all rodentacides sold on the US consumer market meet regulations set forth by an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) policy aimed at mitigating rodenticide exposure to humans and non-targeted species, including companion animals. This policy resulted in the removal of all residential second generation anticoagulant rodenticides from the consumer market (agricultural and restricted use by liscensed operators is still permitted. As a direct consequence, there has been a dramatic increase in theproduction and sales of non-anticoagulant rodenticides, specifically bromethalin and cholecalciferol. BROMETHALIN: Most commercial brands of bromethalin baits contain 0.01% concentration. Doses greater than 0.1 mg/kg necessitate treatment in dogs. Experts consider cats to be three times as sensitive as dogs to bromethalin, so any dose in cats necessitates treatment. Bromethalin is a neurotoxin. There is no antidote for this poison. Call your veterinarian immediately if you think your pet has been exposed. Time is of the essence in a case of bromethalin poisoning. Treatment must be done as soon as possible and includes vomiting and giving activated charcoal to absorb the toxin. Signs of toxicity are convulsions and paralysis. Once signs begin, treatment is very difficult and most patients die. CHOLECALCIFEROL: Most commercial cholecalciferol containing baits have concentration of 0.075%. Doses greater than 0.1 mg/kg necessitate treatment for both dogs and cats. Chlolecalciferol increases intestinal absorption of calcium, stimulates bone resorption, and enhances renal tubular resorption of calcium. This results in a blood serum calcium increase. Prolonged elevation of serum calcium can lead to soft tissue mineralization resulting in acute renal (kidney) failure and cardiovascular abnormalities. There is no antidote. Call your veterinarian immediately if you suspect your pet has been exposed. Rapid treatment improves the prognosis in cases of cholecalciferol poisoning. Treatment includes vomiting and giving activated charcoal to absorb the toxin. Signs of toxicity are typically delayed onset and usually observed 18-36 hours post-ingestion.The most common signs of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, inappetence, depression/lethargy, and increased thirst and urination. PREVENTIVE MEASURES: Keep all rodenticides out of reach of pets. Know which toxin is contained in the brand of rodenticide used in your home. If your pet is exposed, get treatment immediately. Pet Poison Control 1-800-764-7661 www.http.petpoisonhelpline.com A $59 incident fee applies

Return to news index

"Thank you guys so much for all your care over the years for our pets. They could not have been in better hands and we are so grateful."

– P.H.

"Your kindness and concern for animal welfare is appreciated."

– J.T.

"Words are not enough to express my appreciation for your compassion and the way you and your assistant handled such a very difficult time for me."

– C.F.

"We wanted to let you know how much we appreciated your kindness and tender care."

– L.S.

"Thanks for being the best listeners in the medical profession. You have all been so kind during my pet’s thyroid treatment."

– C.D.

"We wish to thank you for being a very important part of our lives. For with you we are able to care for our children as we do."

– E.B.

"We would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere thanks and appreciation for all your excellent care and the concern you gave to us. We will never forget your kindness."

– B.P.

"It’s wonderful to go to a pet clinic where the employees and vets care so much about the animals. You are all so patient and thorough in explanations and service. Thank you all for your love for our animals‚ it’s a blessing."

– T.R.

"I want to thank you for the care you gave to my little dog. I know that you did everything that you could do for her. I also want to thank you for the kindness and support that you gave me. You made a difficult time more bearable and I’m so grateful to you all."

– J.B.

"Thank you so much for all your help. We truly appreciate you, your caring attitude and your willingness to allow us to nurse her at home."

– D.T.

"Thanks for the encouragement, patience and expertise that made our dogs operation a success. Your cheerful attitudes and special treatment of our dog make our trips to Anoka worthwhile."

– J.S.

"I really appreciate the quality of care you give and the feeling that you truly care what happens to the animals."

– D.C.

"Thank you all for the wonderful care you have given our animals. We treat them as our kids and know that you do also."

– K.H.

"The Rum River Veterinary Clinic is a special place‚ because you DO take the time to care."

– J.H.

"Thank you to you and your staff for your excellent loving and patient care. You are sincerely appreciated."

– T.H.